There are some foods, whose mere thought makes my mouth water. Sev Batata Puri (SBP)
is one of those things. Even now, as, I write this blog, I'm thinking of the awesome taste of this dish. Yesterday evening as I was thinking about what to have for dinner, I remembered that a couple weeks ago, I had bought some puris from New Apna Bazar, an indian store in Waltham,MA. So, I decided that I was going use them for dinner. So, now, all I could think about was dinner. While making a mental checklist of things I had in the house for the dish, I realized that I didn't have any chutneys or sev, which meant another trip to the grocery store.. As I was driving to the grocery store, I realized that SBP has almost no nutritional value and could be considered almost as junk food. Once I started thinking of SBP as junk food, I felt guilty about not going going to the gym for the longest time. So, I made yet another detour to the gym before I could savor the taste of SBP. After a nice work out, I drove to a bangladeshi store hoping to find the chutneys and sev. Alas, they only had the coriander chutney, but no sev, and no date chutney. At this point I was starting to lose hope, but, I finally found another indian grocery store *sorta* close to my home which had the date chutney and sev. I finally got home, boiled the potatoes, chopped the onions and cilantro and made my SBP.. And, it was YUMMY!!!! Definitely worth the trip to the gym and 2 grocery stores. Following is the recipe..
Ingredients (All of these should be available at most Indian Grocery Stores)
Puris for Bhel
Date and Tamarind Chutney
Lime and Cilantro
Salt to taste
1. Boil the potato till it is soft and you can peel it easily with your fingers. Once the potato is done, chop it into small cubes.
2. While the potato is boiling, chop the onion into very small cubes. Also coarsely chop the cilantro.
3. Now, make sure that the consitency of your chutneys is a little runnier than Ketchup.
4. Arrange about 8 or so puris in dish
5. Layer the chopped onion and potato on top of the puris
6. Sprinkle some salt on it for taste
7. Next layer it with the corriander and date chutneys
8. Top it off with some Sev
9. Garnish it with Cilantro and lime juice
10. Sit back, relax and enjoy this awesome dish
Steps 1 - 3